Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Courage, Grace,and Confidence

I was on the phone with someone today, and was discussing a project at work. I am the lead on this project and, at this point in time, it is going very well, and is near completion. This person said "You are doing a great job with this." Now this was not someone who I report to, or am necessarily responsible to, (those people kinda have a responsibility to give feedback). It was just someone who, in her own right, has contributed a lot to this particular integration (of a purchased company) and that I just work with. She just was transparent enough to offer her real thoughts to me in a completely unselfish way. Being my own worst critic, I did not really know how to respond, but (after telling her that the success up to this point was due to the efforts of a lot of people), I finally just shut up and thanked her for the kind words. She is right, we are moving mountains in a short amount of time, and the responsibility lays squarely on my back. If it were to fail, so would I. So if (when) it succeeds, so will I. I guess the lesson here is three-fold:

-Be courageous enough to compliment people when you have nothing to gain
-Be gracious enough to accept a compliment, without arrogance
-Have confidence that if you are doing what you are supposed to do, you deserve it

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

No comments: