Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cliff Mansfield... Pop Culture Prophet???

Ok Ok OK...the headline may be a little over the top.

The name of this blog is "Pop Culture is Eating Itself". Being lazy, I will directly quote the previous entomology of the phrase that I have posted on Myspace:


You see, I grew up in the 70s 90s, and that is what shaped my existence. So now I watch TV and all I see are shows that are reminiscing about the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Many of the new movies are sequels or remakes. We spend so much time watching, thinking, and talking about previous stuff that there is very little good new stuff out there.



Given that, what will we see 20 years from now? Will VH1 be showing "I Love I Love the 80s?" A program where the "Mo Roccas" of tomorrow talk about the "Mo Roccas" of today? If you follow that though out, we are basically talking about the stuff from yesterday instead of making good stuff for today. Therefore, we will eventually end up with a Popular Culture that only references previous Popular Culture. With no new things to reference, we will run out of source material.


Therefore, Pop Culture is Eating Itself.



Well they have finally done it, yes Pop Culture has finally truly begun eating itself. The initial harbinger of this sad state has been launched on VH1. Yes, the most significant example of Pop Culture Eating Itself has arrived...

Folks I give you a clip from VH1's "I LOVE THE NEW MILLENNIUM" ...



WAIT???? WHAT??????? The iPod??? We are already reminiscing about the ipod??? Is this necessary??? The iPod is still a hot product, it is still "in". You CAN'T reminisce about something that is still in style!!! That is not fun, nor pithy, nor smart. It is in the simplest terms...stupid.

It is the equivalent of walking up to someone and saying "Remember how great yesterday was?? Wow, those were the days." That person would justifiable look at you like you have a purple cow sitting on your back (I should know, I get that look a lot).

So, it would seem that the creative well, has run dry enough that we have created shows for every year up to the current year. That means VH1 and their ilk are out of opportunities for new content for at least the next six months. Maybe in January they can produce I Love the New Millennium: 2008. Maybe it can come out on January 2nd, in case we do not remember what happened 2 DAYS AGO!!! Wow!!!

A little over two years ago, I came up with the whole concept of "Pop Culture is Eating Itself" and in all honesty, I thought we would come to our senses before it came to pass. However, VH1 did not come to their senses, and the result is above. And... I called it two years ago.

Cliff Mansfield...Pop Culture Prophet??? Maybe not, but I should at least get credit for being astute. Even if it is meaningless. :)

Have a great rest of the week.

-Cliff

No comments: